Tuesday, May 13, 2008

TO MARK OR NOT TO MARK

I'm sure most of us are wondering whether we should mark the mid-year exam answer scripts especially the English essays. They're not easy to mark, and when a single tick or cross can make a big difference between a student being the first in the class or the second best, it's better to make sure that we as trainee teachers (oh, we are, huhuhuu) are allowed to do so.

Anyway, I've contacted our guardian angel Dr Tan and here's what she said in her SMS:
" Should mark but ask for the marking scheme so that it is standardized with the other teachers' in the school."

Work smart, friends... ask the teachers and the principal about the school policy before you even put a red mark on the answer scripts. In my school for example, it's the school policy that only permanent teachers are allowed to mark the exam papers, to avoid parents' complaints.
So if I were you, I'd volunteer to help mark the objective papers so that the teachers can concentrate on just the essays or just keep quiet :)


P/s: Salute to the macho guys at Balik Pulau, I'm told that they have to set the questions for the Sivik exam papers :P

No comments: